Vetti Writings

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Free Food :-)

For those of you who were thinking there exists some relationship between this post and the earlier one or the one before that, I'm sorry - You've got to check your diet :)

Totally pissed of with my current PC I have at home, I have never missed any occassion to have my hands on my father's Laptop. One fine morning I played too much with it and got my hands burnt, while digging around the Networking part of it. As anybody would do, and as exactly how you expected me to do... I turned it off immediately and silently left the place.

The Shock came the next day. I sat down that night to browse. As soon as the OS booted, a balloon appeared saying "Wireless Network Detected". Without hesitation I clicked on the baloon and saw a screen like this.


My eyes can't read anything apart from the "Connect" button. I never realized what happened after that. Eventhough my brain gave some order to read what the dialog says, my right hand gripped the mouse and moved by itself towards the 'Connect' button. (If you are wondering what my left hand did - it pressed the 'PrintScreen' button.) Now, the dialog disappeared... all, my eyes could read was another balloon which reads "Wireless Network Connected" !

Connection was just brilliant. Better effect than what my usual DataOne Broadband gives me. But people never get satisfied unless some Benchmarks prove it, and I'm no wonder an exception. Bandwidthplace came to my help with their SpeedTest. Oh! Man, I had the second shock of the day !


I know it may be too much hype.. but considering the fact this is free Internet and that too wireless :) , I have nothing to complain. The Notebook has 10/100 Mbps Wireless LAN support, but the fact that gave me two shocks is - it is behaving as though I'm in a hot-spot. I have no clue about who the ISP is and how and where do I get the signal from ? No Usernames... No Passwords... I login by a single-click. I went to bed happily. I never know, that the biggest shock is still pending !

Next day. After coming back home from work and after the dinner I silently switched it on. The Balloon appeared, but read "Wireless Network *not* Detected". I found the connection unreliable. 99% of the times, it doesn't connect... but 1% always give me hope. Even till date I can't figure out what is happening, but suddenly, luckily, sometimes the magic happens !!

5 Comments:

  • Hmmm, mysterious indeed!!!
    Thinking of writing a story on these lines :)
    Parkalam , anda story eppadi poguthunnu :)

    By Blogger Prathiba Venkatesan, at 12:27 AM  

  • hey srini... even lap top which u use is intelligent enough(may be like u ;-) ) to find a high speed connection (Without user id and pwd)...

    let me know when ur dad's laptop finds that network again...

    By Blogger vasanth, at 10:47 AM  

  • @ Prathiba,

    Oh good.. But still copyright is mine. I need royalty :)


    @ Vasanth,

    Side gapla enna unreliable nu kalaichutta :( Sure will let u know.

    By Blogger Srini, at 10:52 AM  

  • Its really good. Keep ur free food (free surfing).....

    :)

    - HRK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM  

  • hey vettiboss,

    OCla edhavadhu kedacha podhume, thala kaal puriyadhe.. appadiye enakkaga edhavadhu download panna unna vaayara vaazhthuven rasa..

    Hope u get d conection again soon
    ;)

    -sesh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home